Monday, June 3, 2013

Archive 100 GB for $1.00

I'm still processing images from my trip, oops. I also realized I have no hard drive space for the images, so I thought about how to remove all of my old images from primary storage and put them into backup. At first I considered Dropbox, but the rate of $100/year for 100 GB is pretty crazy, considering that the images that I'm uploading will probably only be accessed once a year, if that.

Instead, I'm using Amazon Glacier, which is relatively new AWS product designed for "secure and durable storage for data archiving and backup" and "optimized for data that is infrequently accessed and for which retrieval times of several hours are suitable." The most compelling aspect of the service to me is that the storage cost is $0.01/GB/Month currently. Additionally, there is no cost to transfer data in, and the cost to transfer data out is $0.12/GB, with the expectation that only 5% of the data will be accessed per month, and $0.13/GB exceeding that (if I am interpreting the sometimes confusingly complicated AWS pricing rules correctly).

Right now I'm uploading my ~60 GB archive of camera photos (RAW, JPG) and movie captures to the archive. It's going at a smooth rate of 3 MB/s, on average:


I'm using FastGlacier, which seems pretty awesome, and is only $40. They have a slightly crippled free version too that can only do two parallel uploads.

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear
    Hopefully you will be fine.
    Its so nice to see your project and innovative idea.
    I want to know about mechanical model(CAD model) of your balbot.
    so kindly send me your CAD model or any guidance plz
    I will acknowledge your idea.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete